In ASAP, classes roll-up to courses. A course is the subject matter (title, description, curriculum) and a class is an instance of the course (the time period, the dates, the times, the instructors, and the locations of the course). One course can have many classes.
You can create a class from the courses listing page, or from the classes listing page.
Prerequisite: The course is created.
What do you want to do?
Create class from classes listings page
The class listing page displays a list of all the classes you offer. It shows the class code, dates and times offered, location, instructor, and the number of open seats.
- On the Navigation menu, select Classes.
- On the page menu, click .
- If there is a course group, select it.
- Select the course.
- The Status defaults to Active. You can change this if desired.
- If you want the class to show on your public site, select Show Online.
- In the Details section, fill in all required fields. Required fields have an asterisk next to them.
- If you are not sure of the instructor yet, select TBD for Instructor. You can assign the instructor later. Note that you cannot enter payroll information without an instructor assigned. If needed, you can enter payroll information after an instructor is assigned.
- Select the Location and if known, also select the facility/room.
- Enter the class Capacity.
- Class code is an internal code identifying the class. It can be alpha-numeric and must be unique. The course code is displayed in this field, it is common practice to add a suffix to the course code for each of your classes. Take some time to think though a naming convention for your class codes. For more information about class codes, see Course and Class Codes.
- Select the Time Period. For information about time periods, see What are Time Periods?
- (Optional) Fill in any additional, non-required fields. For information about these fields, see the following section: Non-required field descriptions.
- If you are charging fees, turn on Fees. If fees were created at the course level, you will see them listed. You can add, change, or remove a fee at the class level.
- For Billing Model, select an option. The most common option is Flat fees. Schedule-based and Pick-a-Day fee billing models are part of ASAP's flexible scheduling. More information on this coming soon.)
- For Fee Types, select the fee type. (these types are configured under Set Up > Financials > Fee Types)
- For Tuition enter the dollar amount without the currency sign.
- If you are using G/L accounts, select the G/L account.
- If the fee is discountable, select Disc?
- If the fee is 1098 eligible, select Ded?
- To add another fee type, click Add fee type and select the fee type.
- Fill in the options for the remaining fields.
- If you use Recurring Fees, click On and set up the schedule and payment type. (NOTE: This is a powerful feature, be sure you fully understand it prior to enabling it. For information regarding recurring fees, see Recurring billing for classes.
- If you know the class schedule, for Schedule Is TBD, click ON and set the options. If you don't know the schedule yet, leave this as Off, and you can set it up later.
- If you are using ASAP's payroll feature, select the Pay Schedule and the Job Class.
- To add a custom field, in the Custom Fields section click , enter the field name and click Create. You can add as many custom fields as you want.
- If not already set up in Courses, for Additional Information, enter any information you want to relay to the registrant. This is included on the invoice receipt. Choose No on Hide Additional Information Online to keep this information off the public site but still keep it on the invoice/receipt.
- When finished with the class options, click .
Create class from courses listing page
Other than your starting point, there is no difference between creating a class from the classes page or the course page.
- On the Navigation menu, select Courses and click the applicable the course.
- On the course page, in the page menu, click the ellipsis and select Create Class.
- Follow the instructions under Create class from classes page.
Non-required field descriptions
In the details section of the Create Class page, there are several fields that are not required to set up a class. Your organization may not use these features and some of them require additional configuration.
This table provides a description of the field so you are aware of the functionality should you choose to use them.
Depending on your configurations, you may not see all of these options.
|Min. Enrollment||This is the minimum number of registrants you require to conduct the class. Classes are cancelled if a this number is not met.|
|Age Requirement||If the class has minimum and maximum age requirements, set those in this area. You can set this by year or months.|
|Department||If the class is tied to a specific department, select the department.|
Some adult education organizations require you identify this information.
This is the primary setting when delivering education instructional services to students. Classroom, Learning Center or Lab, Distance Learning (which is classwork handled outside the classroom environment), or some combination of these.
|Internet Available||Some adult education organizations require you identify whether the classroom has internet access.|
|Company Class||This option is available if you use our Company Accounts module. It allows you to invoice the selected company for classes or outreach offerings without having to enroll each attendee.|
|Waitlisting||If enabled, and all the seats in a class are filled, registrants can join the waitlist. If a registrant in the class drops, a seat opens up and an admin user can manually move/enroll a registrant from the waitlist.|
|Check-In Attendance||This is for organizations who have configured and are using ASAP's check-in tools. For information the this, see Student-Check-In-Check-Out.|