There are two ways to manage High School Diploma or Independent Study.
1. Create one class (roster) for the instructor to take attendance, regardless of the subjects each student studies. Easy on the instructor on a day-to-day basis since only one roster to take attendance.
- Create one course called High School Diploma or HSD Independent Study
- Then create class(es) and enroll students, regardless of what subject the student will study
2. Create one course and a class (roster) for each and every academic subject ie. English 1A, Algebra 1A and the instructor must take attendance in each and every subject every day. Tedious, but doable.
- Create one course for each and every subject taught in the HSD class
- Then create at least one class for each and every course/subject taught in the HSD class
If the class is truly Independent Study (3 hours per day, 15 hours per week), you do not need to schedule the class. Instead, mark it TBD. Instructor will take attendance using the Hour Pounder as in the Hourly Attendance page.
HOW WILL GRADES & CREDITS BE ENTERED?
There are two ways grades & credits can be entered for subjects in high school diploma. Either the grades/credits are entered for the student onto an enrollment record (e.g. Jane Doe is enrolled in Algebra and receives a B+ and 5 credits) OR the grade/credit are entered directly onto the transcript via the External Transcript function on Student Details.
1. External Transcript - direct to the transcript: this is where the office staff or counselor receives the grade/credit from the teacher and enters the data directly onto the transcript via External Transcript. In this case, the student does not need to be enrolled in each subject class they are taking and you can use a simple, one class High School Diploma enrollment to record attendance.
2. Instructor enters grade / credit: in this case, it depends what model of attendance you are using from above...
If ONE attendance roster --> then you enroll student into the High School Diploma attendance taking class and you enroll the student into one or more subject classes. So each HSD student has at least two enrollments - HSD for attendance and one or more subject classes to record grades & credits. These subject classes are not used for attendance. They are only used for grades/credits. On a daily basis, the teacher takes attendance in the HSD class. When student earns a grade/credit, teacher goes to the subject class and records the grade & credit.
If multiple attendance rosters --> the instructor already takes attendance in each and every subject. So the instructor can go to each subject and record the grade/credit.